E*TRADE Study Reveals Investors Satisfied with Portfolio Decisions amid 2018 Volatility
As the New Year approaches, investors focus on the long-term despite near-term market noise
- Wide majority are satisfied with their investing decisions. Despite a year of heightened volatility, 87% of investors surveyed at the beginning of the fourth quarter said they were satisfied with how they managed their investments this year, statistically tied with satisfaction levels at the same period in 2017.
- They are keeping their focus on the long-term. Investors chose increasing retirement plan contributions as their top resolution for 2019, in line with last year. Gen X investors remain particularly focused on the long-term, with one out of two (50%) choosing increased plan contributions as their top resolution and less than one out of three (31%) choosing reallocating their portfolio to reflect market conditions.
- Millennials choose knowledge. The top resolution among Millennials was to learn more about investing, trading, and the markets (51%).
“This year marked a turning point in the financial markets—punctuated by
volatility, trade wars, rising interest rates, and a shifting political
Mr. Loewengart offered additional insights for investors to consider as they kick off the New Year:
- Create or refresh a retirement plan: It’s important for investors to revisit their retirement plan annually. By reviewing goals and objectives, investors can understand how much they may need in retirement, where they currently stand, and make any adjustments to stay on track.
- Make a 2018 IRA contribution: Investors who maximize allowable annual contributions for their retirement account can put the potential power of tax-deferred compounding on their side.
- Review gains, losses, and expenses: Investors can evaluate their annual transactions before year-end to uncover opportunities to help reduce their tax bill. A tax or financial advisor can also offer insight into potential tax implications of portfolio holdings, as well as what to consider with any future investments.
E*TRADE aims to enhance the financial independence of traders and investors through a powerful digital offering and professional guidance. To learn more about E*TRADE’s trading and investing platforms and tools, visit etrade.com.
For useful trading and investing insights from E*TRADE, follow the company on Twitter, @ETRADE.
About the Survey
This wave of the survey was conducted from
|In 2019, my financial resolution is to… (Top 2)|
...increase the amount I contribute to
...change my asset allocation to better reflect
...learn more about investing, trading,
...use online tools more often to make sure I am
...seek the help of investing professionals
|...not make any changes to how I am investing||23%||24%||8%||21%||41%|
|In looking back on 2018, would you say you are…with||
|how you managed your investments this year?||
|Total Q4 ’18||Total Q4 ’17||25–34||35–54||55+|
|Satisfied (Top 3 Box)||87%||91%||84%||86%||90%|
|Dissatisfied (Bottom 3 Box)||4%||9%||6%||3%||3%|
“Millennial” defined as age 25–34 // “Gen X” defined as age 35–54 //
“Baby Boomer” defined as age 55+
The information provided herein is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered investment advice. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
E*TRADE Media Relations
E*TRADE Investor Relations