Capping off a Historic Year, E*TRADE Study Reveals 2018 Investor Resolutions
Investing for retirement jumped to the top of the list for 2018
1. Increase retirement plan contributions. Up six percentage points from last year, 40 percent of investors want to allocate more to their retirement plan in 2018.
2. Adjust asset allocations. Nearly 40 percent of investors expressed a desire to tweak their asset mix to reflect changing market conditions, which is consistent with last year.
3. Leverage educational resources. 35 percent of investors surveyed want to learn more about investing, trading, and the markets, which is consistent with last year.
"The market in 2017 exceeded many investor expectations by continually reaching higher highs, pressing forward amid shifting political and social agendas, and significant Fed moves," commented
- Millennials are the most interested in learning more. Just getting started on their investing journey, this generation seems hungry to expand their knowledge, expressing a greater desire than Gen X and Boomers to learn more about investing, trading, and the markets.
- Gen Xers are the most focused on retirement investing. More than half of Gen X investors surveyed want to increase the amount they contribute to their retirement plan next year. This generation is entering an integral stage of investing with at least a decade left until retirement. The potential for compounding growth is still available to this group given their relatively long time horizon.
- Senior investors want to tweak their allocations. More than half of Boomers surveyed plan to make changes to their portfolio allocation in 2018. Since these investors are closing in on retirement, or may already be retired, they may feel their portfolios need to be adjusted to preserve income through tax-loss harvesting, align with post-employment goals, or reflect changes in their risk tolerance.
For useful trading and investing insights from
About the Survey
This wave of the survey was conducted from
|In 2018, my financial resolution is to… (Top 2)|
|...increase the amount I contribute to my retirement plan||40%||34%||51%||53%||17%|
|...change my asset allocation to better reflect market conditions||38%||39%||23%||38%||52%|
|...learn more about investing, trading, and the markets||35%||34%||41%||34%||30%|
|...use online tools more often to make sure I am properly diversified and meeting my goals||34%||42%||35%||30%||36%|
|...seek the help of investing professionals when I need it||28%||26%||35%||27%||20%|
|...not make any changes to how I am investing||24%||22%||14%||17%||42%|
"Millennials" defined as age 25-34 // "Gen X" defined as age 35-54 // "Baby Boomers" defined as age 55+
The information provided herein is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered investment advice. Past performance does not guarantee future results.
News Provided by Acquire Media